Signal Theory is a full service advertising, branding, strategy, and design company based in Beverly Hills, California.
We believe everything communicates. Every web page, billboard, TV commercial, print ad, logo, and presentation sends a signal. The trick is to increase the power of the signal, the useful information, and reduce the incidence of noise, the useless information. We work with you to optimize your message and strengthen your brand.
What signal are you sending?
OK, so we never used to care about awards, but clients (and especially potential clients) care about them so we decided to enter our work for some awards. And we won some. And then we won some more. We keep winning them, an occurrence which surprises and delights us each time. Here’s a partial list:
- 2015: 1 Gold and 2 Silver Awards for Pokémon TV and Print
- 2014: 2 Gold and 3 Silver Awards for Pokémon TV, Print, and Web
- 2013: 1 Gold Award for Pokémon TV
- 2012: 2 Gold and 2 Silver Awards for Pokémon TV and web
- 2010: 3 Gold Awards for Shopzilla print, holiday card, and style guide 4 Silver Awards for Pokémon print, TV, and web
- 2012: 1 Gold and 1 Silver Award for Pokémon TV and web
- 2010: 3 Silver Awards for Pokémon TV and web
- 2009: 1 Gold and 1 Silver Awards for Pokémon TV and web, 1 Silver Award for Shopzilla logo (holiday)
- 2008: 1 Gold and 1 Silver Awards for Shopzilla style guide and TV
- 2007: 3 Silver Awards for Pokémon TV, web, and print
- 2006: 1 Gold and 2 Silver Awards for Nintendo TV and print, 1 Silver Award for Shopzilla outdoor
- 2015: 1 Silver and 1 Bronze Award for Pokémon TV
- 2012: 1 Bronze Award for Pokémon TV
- 2010: 1 Silver Award for Shopzilla holiday card 1 Bronze Award for web
- 2009: 1 Bronze Award for Pokémon TV
- 2008: 1 Silver Award for Shopzilla TV 1 Bronze Award for Pokémon integrated campaign (TV, print, web)
- 2007: 1 Silver Award for Pokémon TV
- 2014: 1 Bronze Award for Pokémon TV
- 2013: 1 Silver and 1 Bronze Award for Pokémon TV
- 2012: 1 Bronze Award for Pokémon TV
- 2010: 1 Bronze Award for Pokémon TV
- 2009: 2 Bronze Awards for Pokémon TV
- 2008: 2 Bronze Awards for Shopzilla TV
- 2011: Official Honoree for Pokémon web
Sallie Merritt Green
Sallie Merritt Green is a creative and strategic specialist and Signal Theory’s founder. Prior to launching Signal Theory, Sallie was vice president, marketing and product development for Fandango, the nation’s largest remote movie ticketing service. Sallie also worked for Clarity, a themed-entertainment development company, where she negotiated and closed a $2 million post-show for the AT&T sponsored Spaceship Earth attraction at Disney’s Epcot theme park.
Prior to joining Clarity, Sallie was an account director for The Walt Disney Company’s Corporate Alliances division, where she managed Disney’s cross-divisional, multi-national alliances with Kodak, AT&T, American Express, and Federal Express. Sallie also spent six years at Time Warner where she was director of program development for Time Inc. Magazines’ corporate marketing group, as well as franchise development manager for Time Magazine. Sallie began her career at Bain & Company.
Sallie holds a B.A. in English and Economics from the University of Michigan, she has completed the Radcliffe Publishing Course (now known as the Columbia Publishing Course), and has has been invited to the Squaw Valley Community of Writers numerous times.
Creative Director & Partner
Steve Hodowsky is an award-winning graphic designer and Signal Theory’s creative director.
Prior to forming Signal Theory, Steve worked for some of the best ad agencies on both the East and West Coasts including Kirshenbaum + Bond; Margeotes, Fertitta & Weiss; Grey Direct; and Wunderman Cato Johnso. Steve also did freelance projects for design shop M & Co. where he learned under the legendary Tibor Kalman. Steve graduated with honors from the School of Visual Arts, NY, with a BFA in Fine Arts.
Steve is a design and type specialist and he has created many logos including those for Shopzilla.com, Business.com and NFL Sunday Ticket, among others.
Steve’s expertise also includes broadcast, direct mail, print, POP, outdoor, and web for clients such as Nintendo, Pokémon, Harvard Business School, ditech.com, Acura/Honda, Lexus, and many others.
In addition to being a commercial artist, Steve is also a painter. Please visit his painting site at stevearts.com.
After a rocky start, which included a death row stint in an animal shelter, Julianne from Pugs to Pits saved me and put me in the foster care of Venice resident Jessamyn Cuneo. I was tiny and I couldn’t be left by myself, so Samantha Sanchez took me to work with her at Signal Theory, where Steve and Sallie fell in love with me and took me home. I used to go to work almost every day, but now I like to sleep a lot. I’m still a valuable member of the staff, though. My talents are eating, sleeping and talking. I indicate my preference for creative by sitting, and sometimes biting, the chosen concept. My favorite food is salmon sushi.