For an ACD/Senior Copywriter, here’s the starting line:
- You have over 10 years of experience in copywriting and mentoring in an advertising agency setting.
- Words are your friends. And putting them together in interesting ways to sell stuff is one of your favorite things.
- You have a killer book demonstrating great conceptual thinking and an understanding of headline/visual synergy.
- You have a degree in something loosely related to the English language, like journalism, communications, creative writing, etc.
- You know all the grammar rules. And you know how to break them.
- You know the inner workings of Microsoft Word in a way that others may find disturbing.
- You’re hungry for juicy opportunities and you play nice with others.
Any ACD/Senior Copywriter should feel the following rings true:
- You are a stickler for details.
- On more than one occasion people who are not your parents have complimented you on your wit and/or intelligence.
- You’re collaborative and generally well-liked.
- You are not afraid to raise your hand to ask a question or throw out a suggestion.
Ideas. You got ’em. Lots of ’em.
- Great copy sends shivers of joy up your spine.
- You want to learn and grow at a place where creativity is celebrated.
- You can explain your work and defend it without seeming like a pompous jerk.
- You can internalize and interpret direction.
- You can do the above without rolling your eyes (mostly).
- You don’t find the notion of a fast pace to be disagreeable or problematic.
- You laugh in the face of pressure.
- You have a genuine interest in the history of advertising.
- You have a genuine interest in staying on top of current social and cultural trends.
- You’re a little shocked that people often come to you for advice and ask questions.
What do ACD/Senior Copywriters do? What don’t they do?
Pretty much anything expected of a copywriter, but with an extra helping of experience, wisdom and leadership. ACD/Senior Copywriters write and edit the words that go in the creative work produced by Signal Theory. That could be an ad. A website. A brochure. An outdoor board. A Facebook post. Innumerable things. You help imagine and produce the answers to any client challenge. Whether the project is a campaign or a single item, the point should be to create something that has a positive impact on the brand. You’re involved with creating and orchestrating the content of any solution.
An ACD/Senior Copywriter shouldn’t be surprised to be asked to:
- Contribute to new business efforts.
- Present ideas (your own and others’) to clients.
- Write content for a client presentation.
- Work with and direct audio/video production and talent.
- Set an example for and mentor associate copywriters or copywriters.
- Talk to students or other groups about working at an agency.
- Lead team discussions and initiatives.
Exceptional benefits include:
- Access to LinkedIn Learning and Skillshare to continue honing your craft
- Six flexible work-from-home days each year in addition to your regular PTO
- Up to $500 a year to put toward qualified wellness expenses, like your gym membership
- After one year, we’ll reimburse up to 50% of tuition costs for pre-approved continuing education
- If you stick around for eight whole years, enjoy a 4-week paid sabbatical, plus a $750 reimbursement for international travel
Of course, we also:
- Are an equal opportunity employer
- Provide health, dental and vision insurance
- Offer salaries commensurate with experience
- Offer both traditional and Roth 401k plans with employer matching