An associate art director contributes to what any piece of creative work produced by Signal Theory looks like — either with the guidance and direction of an art director or senior art director, or on their own. Most work begins with a brief or other information provided by brand management. The associate art director — often working in tandem with a copywriter — helps imagine and produce the answer to any client challenge. Whether it’s a campaign or a single item, the goal should be to create something that has a positive impact on the intended audience that promotes the client’s product, service or brand. The associate art director is, if not the main guardian, a key team member entrusted with the visual content of the final piece.
For an associate art director, here are the basics:
- You have less than three years work experience.
- You are proficient with core Adobe Creative Cloud Apps (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat).
- Experience with other software/apps (e.g., After Effects, XD, Sketch) can be beneficial.
- You have some experience with electronic file preparation for advertising/printing.
- You are familiar with designing for digital platforms — web/mobile.
- You have a good understanding of design fundamentals.
- You are a damn good designer.
Any associate art director should feel the following rings true:
- You pay attention to the details.
- You’re collaborative and work positively with a team.
- You are not afraid to raise your hand to ask a question or toss out a suggestion.
- You welcome feedback and can channel that into your work.
- You have an appreciation for advertising, design and their histories.
- You appreciate excellence in the elements of advertising — photography, illustration, motion, typography, etc.
- You are eager to learn about your client’s world and develop your own skills.
- You don’t find the notion of a generally fast pace to be disagreeable or concerning.
- You can talk about your work and clearly explain the reasons/inspiration for your choices.
Exceptional benefits include:
- Access to Skillshare to continue honing your craft.
- Six flexible work-from-home days each year in addition to your regular PTO.
- Up to $500 a year to put toward qualified wellness expenses, like your gym membership.
- After one year, we’ll reimburse up to 50% of tuition costs for approved continuing education.
- After eight years, enjoy a 4-week paid sabbatical, plus a $750 reimbursement for international travel.
Of course, we also:
- Are an equal opportunity employer.
- Provide health, dental and vision insurance.
- Offer salaries commensurate with experience.
- Offer both traditional and Roth 401k plans with employer matching.